Today we are talking to Anthony Caiafa, the CTO at SS&C Technologies. And we discuss the value of deep experience for technology leaders, takeaways from leading teams from 3 to 3000 people, and the importance of staying humble as you progress in your career.
All of this, right here, right now, on the Modern CTO Podcast!
Check out them out at: ssctech.com
Anthony Caiafa joined SS&C Technologies in August 2018 as the Chief Technology Officer, overseeing SS&C’s infrastructure technology with a senior role in vision in strategy. Prior to joining SS&C, Mr. Caiafa was part of Bloomberg’s CTO office, as the Infrastructure Security Architect where he led efforts in infrastructure, automation, monitoring and security. He also held the Head of Production Engineering role at Bloomberg, responsible for building the production engineering organization and helping both internal and outside teams modernize their technology stack. Mr. Caiafa was on the original team at DigitalOcean where he built the infrastructure to help the company grow to scale.
SS&C is a global provider of investment and financial services and software for the financial services and healthcare industries. Named to Fortune 1000 list as top U.S. company based on revenue, SS&C is headquartered in Windsor, Connecticut and has 20,000+ employees in over 90 offices in 35 countries. Some 18,000 financial services and healthcare organizations, from the world’s largest institutions to local firms, manage and account for their investments using SS&C’s products and services.
- Joel and Anthony start out talking about fitness and that leads to talk about discipline
- Anthony’s career progression and how he got into technology
- Learnings from his time at Digital Ocean
- Thoughts on Site Reliability Engineering and the evolution of it over the years
- The importance of humility in your career. The tech industry is a small one and you never know who you will run into one day.
- The problems SS&C is solving and what their customers look like
- How information flows in a company the size of SS&C
- The differences working at a founder led company vs not
- Anthony’s takeaway from building and leading teams. The emphasis on culture is extremely important
- Leadership learnings right now. Checking in on your employees in a remote environment is a must